Éco-quartier Sud-Ouest promotes environmental action and environmental citizenship among residents of
the South-West borough, which includes the Pointe-Saint-Charles, Little Burgundy, Saint-Henri,
Ville-Émard and Côte-Saint-Paul districts. We help residents, community groups, institutions
and businesses create projects that improve the quality of life in their neighbourhood.
The program focuses mainly on:
- Empowering and encouraging citizens to take charge of the quality of their environment, especially by
reducing their waste production, practising responsible consumption, improving neighbourhood cleanliness,
reducing greenhouse gas emissions and reducing urban heat islands.
- Improving our urban living environment by supporting residents’ projects.
- Promoting residents’ involvement in the community by developing projects that are inclusive and accessible,
that fight poverty and that are consistent with the mandate of our community partners and neighbourhood
Éco-quartier personnel also organize and lead activities for the members of The YMCAs of Québec, with a
special focus on youth. YMCA members take part in Éco-quartier projects in neighbourhoods served by Y centres.
Éco-quartier Sud-Ouest is managed by the
Pointe-Saint-Charles Y centre.
The Éco-quartier program is an environmentally-oriented initiative created in 1995 by the City of Montreal.
The program provides financial support to community organizations wishing to carry out neighbourhood or
borough-wide environmental activities, including cleanup drives, environmental waste management
projects and efforts to beautify and improve the natural environment.
- To reduce the amount of waste generated in the borough sent to landfills, and encourage less consumption,
the reuse of consumer products, recycling and composting.
- To improve cleanliness, promote neighbourhood beautification, and enhance the visual quality of the urban landscape.
- To make residents aware of the important part they play in improving the quality of their neighbourhood.
- To decrease the urban heat island effect, reduce greenhouses gas emissions and improve air quality.
The Éco-quartier Sud-Ouest program oversees a range of projects:
- Campaigns to encourage all neighbourhood businesses and buildings to recycle and compost.
- A project involving the management of community composting sites for residents who cannot do home composting.
- Residents’ committees.
- Environmental workshops, lectures and training.
- Cleanup drives, and residents’ vegetation and tree planting projects.
- Supporting the setting up of numerous community gardens involving some 200 participants.
- Door-to-door canvassing to raise awareness of the different aspects of the program.
- Application for funding and grants to expand and diversify initiatives.
Points of Service:
The Éco-quartier Sud-Ouest is comprised of 3 points of service:
- Little Burgundy: Centre Sainte-Cunégonde. 525 Dominion Rd.
- Pointe-Saint-Charles: Pointe-Saint-Charles Y Centre. 255, Ash Ave.
- Saint-Paul-Émard: Chalet du parc Campbell-Ouest. 1990 Maricourt Rd.
For more information, please contact the coordinator of your borough or the regional coordinator at 514-872-0122,
or at email@example.com.
Coordinators by borough:
Coordinator - Saint-Henri: firstname.lastname@example.org / 514-872-0122 option 2
Coordinator - Little Burgundy: email@example.com / 514-872-0122 option 3
Coordinator - Saint-Paul-Émard: firstname.lastname@example.org / 514-872-0122 option 2
Coordinator - Pointe-Saint-Charles: email@example.com / 514-872-0122 option 1
Regional Coordinator:firstname.lastname@example.org / 514-872-0122 option 1
For the Graffiti mandate, please contact the following people:
Point of Service - Saint-Paul-Émard: email@example.com / 514-872-0122 option 2
Point of Service - Pointe-Saint-Charles: firstname.lastname@example.org / 514-872-0122 option 1